Department of Environmental Affairs
The objective of the Environmental Affairs Department is to achieve and maintain a cleaner, healthier environment for the citizens of Gary through:
- Inspection & monitoring of businesses and sites that impact environmental quality;
- Providing environmental information and response and concerns regarding environmental issues;
- Brownfield Redevelopment Assessment and Remediation Planning and Implementation;
- Issuing local air operating permits to businesses operating in the City of Gary by City Ordinance. Act as the agent for Indiana Department of Environmental Management Air Program in the City of Gary.
- Working with all City Departments and Agencies to develop sound environmental practice in city projects and processes;
- Monitoring and Maintaining the Closed Gary Sanitary Landfill; and
Working cooperatively with and assisting State and Federal Agencies in environmental management and enforcement programs.