The Gary Fire Civil Service Commission will issue applications for the position of Firefighter. Interested persons may pick up an application from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Monday through Friday, beginning November 30, 2012 - December 13, 2012 from the Gary Fire Civil Service Commission Office, 401 Broadway Room B-6 (lower level), Gary, Indiana 46402.
You must have a copy of your Driver's License, Driver's History (computer printout of driver's history obtained from license bureau
), and Proof of High School Graduation or G.E.D. attached to application upon submitting. All applications must be submitted on or before 3:00 p.m., Friday, December 14, 2012 to the Gary Fire Civil Service Commission. Only persons who submit applications with copy of Driver's License, Driver's History, and Proof of High School Graduation or G.E.D. during this time will be tested.
Each applicant must meet the following requirements:
- Be a U.S. citizen
- Age 21-35. You must be at least 21 years of age to begin employment as a firefighter; however you must not have reached your 36th birthday before induction.
- Be a high school graduate or G.E.D. equivalent
- Not convicted of Class A misdemeanor or felony
- Have a valid Driver's License
- Obtain an EMT License issued by the State of Indiana, in conjunction with a sponsoring hospital approved by the Commission, designating the applicant as an EMT within six (6) months of the applicant's completion of firefighting training. The Member of the department shall maintain an EMT's license issued by the State of Indiana, in conjunction with a sponsoring hospital approved by the Commission, designating the applicant as an EMT during the entire term of the member's employment by the Gary Fire Department. Failure to maintain an EMT's license shall be cause for termination.