Site Plan Review & Development Committee
In 2006, the City of Gary instituted a streamlined review process for zoning clearances and building permits. A
Site Plan Review & Development (SPRD) Committee was formed to review requests for all commercial/industrial projects involving new construction or exterior work (including facades, signage, and parking lots) and for all new residential construction.
Due to the thoroughness of this one-stop review, the SPRD Committee requests that a site plan, three full sets of drawings, and a completed SPRD checklist be submitted two weeks prior to a desired appointment. The purpose of the SPRD Committee is to assure that development in the City is consistent with municipal codes, the Comprehensive Plan, and other State and Federal mandates.
The Site Plan Review & Development Committee requests that the owner and selected contractor come before the SPRD Committee and present an overview of the proposed petition/project. After each presentation, the petitioner will either receive a decision on permitting or will be asked for additional information.
The SPRD Committee meets once a week to guarantee prompt turnaround for projects that do not require zoning changes or use variances. If such changes are found to be required, the SPRD Committee will direct the project to the Plan Commission or Board of Zoning Appeals. The SPRD Committee will hear petitions only after the project's zoning or intended used becomes compliant.
The SPRD Committee will review each project for:
- adherence to Municipal Building and Zoning Codes
- thoroughness of plan details including, but not limited to, parking, landscaping, signage, lighting, buffer treatments, and waste receptacles
- traffic circulation and integration with the existing transportation network
- storm water management and environmental standards
- adherence to federal guidelines such as the Americans with Disability Act
- consistency with the Comprehensive Plan and/or Master Development plans
- adherence to decisions rendered by the Plan Commission or Board of Zoning Appeals
- adherence to project conditions set by the Planning and Development Council
The SPRD Committee looks forward to hearing your project. If you have any questions, do not hesitate to contact my office.
If you would like to schedule an appointment, please contact James Craig, Zoning Administrator, at (219) 881-1332.
If you would like to print out different sections of the SPRD Checklist Packet, please click the appropriate section:
If you would like to print out the full SPRD Checklist Packet, please click here.
Director of Planning and Division of Zoning